Your home purchase becomes a reality on closing day when ownership is officially transferred to you. Before and on closing day, there are a number of tasks to complete:
- If you are renting, give notice to your landlord and arrange for the return of your deposit
- Confirm your home purchase with your mortgage lender and finalize your mortgage details.
- Hire a legal professional to represent your interests and manage closing documentation.
- Obtain home insurance and notify your lawyer and mortgage lender of the selected insurer.
- Arrange for your self-move requirements or obtain estimates from reputable moving companies and book as far in advance as possible.
- Coordinate cancellations, transfers and change of address notification for medical, financial and contracted services, utilities, licenses, subscriptions, memberships and personal mail.
- Organize the connection of services and utilities as your new home.
- Meet with your lawyer on closing day to sign required mortgage and property closing documentation, pay associated balances and fees, and collect the keys to your new home
This is not an exhaustive list of to do's but a good guide to help you have a smooth closing. Remember a good Realtor will always be available to help you with any concerns or questions prior to closing. Happy moving!